Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

Charlton Athletic issue statement as police launch investigation after dead body found at The Valley

Charlton Athletic issue statement as police launch investigation after dead body found at The Valley
The Valley stadium, home to Charlton Athletic - Photo via IMAGO / Focus Images

Charlton Athletic have issued a statement after a 33-year-old man was found dead at The Valley, with police now investigating the circumstances surrounding his death.

The incident occurred ahead of the new Championship season, with the club confirming it is assisting authorities with their inquiries.

Police launch investigation after a man was found dead at The Valley

Police and London Ambulance Service paramedics were called to Charlton's stadium in south-east London on Tuesday morning following concerns for the welfare of a person.

The 33-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene, with his next of kin informed and being supported by officers.

The Metropolitan Police is investigating the possibility that the man fell from a height during the early hours of Monday morning. The death is currently being treated as unexpected while inquiries continue.

Charlton confirmed that the club is supporting the police investigation and asked for privacy for those affected.

“Everyone at Charlton Athletic would like to express their deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the individual's family, friends and loved ones at this incredibly difficult time,” a club spokesperson said.

“The club are continuing to assist the authorities with their inquiries and respectfully ask that the privacy of those affected is respected.”

Charlton also confirmed there was no suggestion of any wrongdoing on the club's part and praised staff for their professionalism in dealing with what it described as a “particularly difficult and distressing situation”.

FGG says: A deeply sad situation

There is little to add here other than to extend our condolences to the man's family, friends and loved ones.

Our thoughts are also with everyone at Charlton who has been affected by what is an incredibly difficult situation.

Lewis joined as News and Features Editor in July 2025, having previously held senior roles at Snack Media and GRV Media. A passionate follower of sport, in particular football and golf, as well as a proud Aldershot Town supporter, he brings over six years of experience in the digital sports publishing space.

Articles: 1062