Racing Club (Estadio Presidente Perón)
Estadio Presidente Perón
Mozart and Corbatta Passage, Avellaneda (CP B1870BAB) Buenos Aires, Argentina
Telephone: +54 (011) 4229.1350
Pitch Size: 105m x 78m
Pitch Type: Natural grass
Club Nickname: La Academia (The Academy) | El Primer Grande (The First Great)
Year Ground Opened: 1950
Undersoil Heating: Yes
The initiative to construct the Estadio Presidente Perón (nicknamed El Cilindro, due to its cylinder shape) began in 1944 as part of an effort to enhance the club’s facilities. A dedicated committee was formed to acquire 30,000 m² of land owned by British railway companies at the time.
On 16 August 1946, Argentina’s President Juan Domingo Perón issued Executive Order No. 7395, granting Racing Club a 3 million pesos loan for the construction of a significant stadium for sports activities.
Thanks to the efforts of devoted Racing Club supporter Ramón A. Cereijo, an additional loan of 8 million pesos was secured, payable within a maximum period of 65 years. In gratitude to government collaboration, the club’s board appointed Juan Domingo Perón as honorary president and various government officials as honorary members.
The old stadium hosted its final game on 1 December 1947 between Racing and Rosario Central. Soon after, it was demolished to make way for the construction of the Estadio Presidente Perón, affectionately known as El Cilindro de Avellaneda. Despite President Perón’s suggestion to build the stadium in Retiro, Buenos Aires, the decision was made to stay in Avellaneda to keep their place of belonging.
Estadio Presidente Perón was officially inaugurated on 3 September 1950, with a match between Racing and Vélez Sarsfield, ending in a 1-0 victory for Racing.
In 1951, the stadium hosted the opening and closing ceremonies of the First Pan American Games, “Buenos Aires 1951,” as well as the football matches of the competition.
Significant moments include the 1967 Copa Libertadores final against Club Nacional de Football and the 1967 Intercontinental Cup final against European champion Celtic.
Domestically, the stadium witnessed the 1969 Argentine Primera División final between Chacarita Juniors and River Plate, as well as the 1976 final where Boca Juniors secured a 1–0 victory over River Plate with Rubén Suñé’s “ghost goal.”
The Cilindro underwent changes in address when Avellaneda’s local government approved renaming Cuyo street to Oreste Osmar Corbatta, a revered Racing idol who passed away in December 1991.
Noteworthy additions include new lighting towers inaugurated in 1966 and a modern illumination system supported by a light blue, translucent roof—making the Cilindro the first covered stadium in Argentina.
Over the years, the stadium has also played host to national and international concerts since the late 1990s.
Estadio Presidente Perón, situated in the Avellaneda district of Greater Buenos Aires, stands merely 200 metres from its arch-rival, Independiente’s Estadio Libertadores de América – Ricardo Enrique Bochini.
The stadium’s distinctive double-tiered stands create an almost perfect circular structure, with cutouts in the centre providing space for the pitch. The enduring uniqueness of this design, which led to its nickname, El Cilindro, sets it apart to this day.
The Estadio Presidente Perón holds around 50,000 people, although the exact modern capacity remains unconfirmed. The record attendance is reported as an incredible 120,000 back when Racing played Celtic in the 1967 Intercontinental Cup.
Tickets are conveniently accessible through various channels, including the stadium itself, the club office located at Nogoya 3045 in the western part of Buenos Aires, or the club store at Lavalle 1650 in the Microcentro.
On match days, tickets are typically available for purchase at the stadium’s ticket windows. For additional details, feel free to reach out by calling +54 4502 7396 or emailing [email protected].
If opting to purchase tickets online in advance, it’s essential to bring the confirmation email to a designated ticket window on Diego Milito street. At the window, exchange the confirmation for a card that serves as your entry pass. It’s advisable to keep a copy of the confirmation email on hand, as the card itself does not indicate the specific turnstiles for entry.
The clash between Racing Club and Independiente, famously known as El Clásico de Avellaneda, stands as one of Argentina’s most intense rivalries, tracing its roots back to the early 20th century.
Both stadiums find their home in Avellaneda, a Buenos Aires suburb just south of the Capital Federal city limits, and are separated by a mere 200 metres!
A particularly heated encounter occurred on 26 November 1961, marking the most violent game in their history. The referee had to suspend the match for six minutes due to player brawls, resulting in the dismissal of four players from each team. The game ultimately concluded with a 1–1 draw.
13 August 2006, witnessed another intense episode as El Clásico de Avellaneda had to be abandoned. The escalating violence among fans reached a breaking point during Independiente’s 2–0 lead at Libertadores de América. Riots erupted in the away stands, leading Racing fans to confront the police, prompting the referee to abandon the match. Eventually, Independiente was awarded the three points from the game.